Is there a cure for gallbladder cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

While not all cases of gallbladder cancer can be cured, there are treatments which can help extend survival. When it is diagnosed at an early stage, treatment is more likely to be successful. Stage 0 cancer, defined by cancer that is confined to the lining of the gallbladder, can be treated surgically with a cholecystectomy, or removal of the gallbladder. Stage 0 cancer has an overall five year survival rate of 81 percent. However, once the cancer has spread outside the gallbladder, successful treatment is more unlikely. Stage II cancer has a five year survival rate of less than 10 percent.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...
What is gastric cardia cancer?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
This is a form of stomach cancer that occurs in the top portion of the stomach near the junction of ...
6 Ways to Help Prevent Stomach Cancer
6 Ways to Help Prevent Stomach Cancer6 Ways to Help Prevent Stomach Cancer6 Ways to Help Prevent Stomach Cancer6 Ways to Help Prevent Stomach Cancer
While genetics play a role in one’s risk, eating the right foods, exercising and avoiding smoking can help lower your odds. Back in the 1930s, stomach...