Are scientists researching new gallbladder cancer treatments?

There are several types of medication which are currently under investigation for the treatment of gallbladder cancer. Sorafenib, brand name Nexavar, and bevacizumab, brand name Avastin, target the growth and development of new blood vessels, also called angiogenesis. The pathogenesis of cancer involves the overgrowth of cells, which requires new blood vessels for nutritional support. EGFR, or epidermal growth factor receptor, is another target of therapy as this particular protein may be involved in some of the cell signaling that helps cancer cells to grow. Erlotinib, brand name Tarceva, targets EGFR related cellular signaling pathways.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
Early detection is vital to successfully treating stomach cancer. Here, gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains the symptoms to look out for a...
Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
What is non-cardia gastric cancer?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Unlike gastric cardia cancer, non-cardia gastric cancer is found in all other areas of the stomach o...
How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
It is important to determine from each family member how much they would like to know about your dia...