What is the mortality rate for gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer?

Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
Surgical Oncologist

Gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer may be very aggressive. Survival rates depend on how healthy you were prior to therapy, and how advanced the cancer was at of the time of discovery. If stomach cancer is diagnosed early, survival rates may be as high as 75% of people surviving five years after diagnosis. If the cancer has already spread to other parts of your body, then it cannot be cured. That said, there are still several options and therapies available to allow you to live better and longer. It is important to discuss your goals and your concerns with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
Foods That Can Reduce Your Risk of Stomach Cancer
Several foods can reduce your risk of stomach cancer, according to Dr. Neal Bernard and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Learn more in this video. Medically reviewed i...
How common is gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer?
Dr. Jill K. Onesti, MDDr. Jill K. Onesti, MD
There are approximately 20,000 new cases of gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer in the United St...
How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
It is important to determine from each family member how much they would like to know about your dia...