Is gallbladder cancer serious?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Gallbladder cancer can be very serious, particularly when it is diagnosed at a later stage. Removal of the gallbladder can be curative when the cancer has not spread. In general, however, individuals diagnosed with this form of cancer may only live for a few months after the time of discovery. If you have gallbladder cancer, your doctor can help you to determine your prognosis.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
Early detection is vital to successfully treating stomach cancer. Here, gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains the symptoms to look out for a...
Surprising Ways Aspirin Protects Against Gastrointestinal Cancer
In addition to introducing Emily Wickersham as the future Agent Bishop, the broadcast of the NCIS episode, Gut Check, challenged the team’s newest ass...
How common is gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer?
Stomach cancer strikes about one million people each year. It is especially common in other parts of...
How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common that a diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer may both frighten and upset your family. How...