Can I inherit gallbladder cancer from a parent?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Gallbladder cancer is generally not inherited. While genetic changes or mutations can cause this form of cancer, these genetic changes are usually not present at birth. In the case of gallbladder cancer, chronic inflammation is thought to cause DNA changes in the cells that line the gallbladder, leading to the abnormal growth of cells and development of cancer. If you have a family history of this form of cancer, you may have a slightly higher risk. However, if you have a parent with gallbladder cancer, it is very unlikely that you will inherit the condition.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

What are the symptoms of gastrointestinal (GI) or stomach cancer?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan discusses the symptoms of stomach cancer. Watch Dr. Chutkan's...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose carcinoid cancer?
The first thing you should know when you go to an appointment to diagnose carcinoid cancer is that y...
Is carcinoid syndrome serious?
Carcinoid tumors are very slow-growing tumors, from which you may have no real symptoms for a long t...
What are the types of abdominal cancers in children?
Abdominal cancers are rarely seen in children; they are generally considered part of a group known a...