How do medications treat appendix cancer?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Chemotherapy medication is used to treat appendix cancer after tumors have been removed. Intraperitoneal chemotherapy is used after the tumors in the abdominal cavity are removed. A chemotherapy drug is heated to help in absorption and administered through tube in the abdomen and spread around the cavity. Another type of chemotherapy is systemic chemotherapy, which is administered throughout the body through the blood stream. The chemotherapy drugs used in systemic chemotherapy for appendix cancer are often used in treating colorectal cancer. In both cases of chemotherapy, the drugs target and kill cancer cells.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
Early detection is vital to successfully treating stomach cancer. Here, gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains the symptoms to look out for a...
How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common that a diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer may both frighten and upset your family. How...
What should I eat after gallbladder surgery?
Oak Hill HospitalOak Hill Hospital
People who have had gallbladder surgery should eat a low-fat diet for about two weeks afterward.
What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...