How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?

It is important to determine from each family member how much they would like to know about your diagnosis and how much you, as the patient, are willing to tell them. Sometimes a lack of knowledge can lead to more anger and confusion. Allow your family members to ask questions so they can understand your diagnosis better. There are also many national and local support groups to help patients and families cope with the diagnosis. Your physician or hospital should be able to help you contact these groups.
It is common that a diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer may both frighten and upset your family. However, there are now several therapeutic options available to patients, and these should be discussed at length with your surgeon and with your family prior to making final decisions. Letting your family know will give them time to adjust and help you make decisions at a time when your own decision-making processes may be more difficult.

Additionally, if it appears that you have a family history of colon, ovarian, endometrial, gastric, or pancreatic cancer, it is important for your family members to be screened as well. Colon cancer may be preventable in its early stages.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
How Stomach Cancer is Diagnosed
Early detection is vital to successfully treating stomach cancer. Here, gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains the symptoms to look out for a...
Reduce Colon Cancer Risk 65 Percent with This Meal
You could drop your risk of colon cancer by as much as 65 percent with this simple and delicious diet switch. Trade that meat-and-potato kabob for a f...
What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...
Are the symptoms the same for colon, rectal, and anal cancer?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Symptoms for colon, rectal and anal cancer can be similar, but none of the symptoms are specific to ...