How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?

It is common that a diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer may both frighten and upset your family. However, there are now several therapeutic options available to patients, and these should be discussed at length with your surgeon and with your family prior to making final decisions. Letting your family know will give them time to adjust and help you make decisions at a time when your own decision-making processes may be more difficult.

Additionally, if it appears that you have a family history of colon, ovarian, endometrial, gastric, or pancreatic cancer, it is important for your family members to be screened as well. Colon cancer may be preventable in its early stages.
It is important to determine from each family member how much they would like to know about your diagnosis and how much you, as the patient, are willing to tell them. Sometimes a lack of knowledge can lead to more anger and confusion. Allow your family members to ask questions so they can understand your diagnosis better. There are also many national and local support groups to help patients and families cope with the diagnosis. Your physician or hospital should be able to help you contact these groups.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Foods That Can Reduce Your Risk of Stomach Cancer
Several foods can reduce your risk of stomach cancer, according to Dr. Neal Bernard and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Learn more in this video. Medically reviewed i...
Surprising Ways Aspirin Protects Against Gastrointestinal Cancer
In addition to introducing Emily Wickersham as the future Agent Bishop, the broadcast of the NCIS episode, Gut Check, challenged the team’s newest ass...
What is a total gastrectomy for stomach cancer?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A total gastrectomy for stomach cancer is when the entire stomach is removed in order to remove the ...
What types of cancer can start in the colon and rectum?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
Several types of cancer can start in the colon or rectum: 1. Adenocarcinomas: More than 95% of colo...