How is appendix cancer diagnosed?

Appendix cancer is often diagnosed during abdominal surgery done for other reasons and as a result of appendicitis. Doctors may notice signs of cancer and send a sample of tissue to a laboratory for a biopsy, where tissue is examined under a microscope while looking for cancerous cells. Imaging techniques like ultrasound, CT scan and MRI may also discover cancerous masses. These, however, cannot diagnose appendix cancer like a biopsy.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Foods That Can Reduce Your Risk of Stomach Cancer
Several foods can reduce your risk of stomach cancer, according to Dr. Neal Bernard and Dr. Mehmet Oz. Learn more in this video. Medically reviewed i...
The Signs and Symptoms of Stomach Cancer
In this video, gastroenterologist Dr. Robynne Chutkan explains the signs and symptoms of gastric cancer, otherwise known as stomach cancer.  Medicall...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose carcinoid cancer?
The first thing you should know when you go to an appointment to diagnose carcinoid cancer is that y...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with carcinoid syndrome?
If you are taking care of someone with carcinoid syndrome, you should, first and foremost, make sure...