Why is gallbladder cancer usually not found earlier?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

In four out of five cases, gallbladder cancer is diagnosed after it has spread beyond the gallbladder. Early cancer is difficult to detect on physical exam because the gallbladder is not located near the surface of the abdomen. However, this form of cancer is found incidentally in between 1 and 2 percent of gallbladder removal surgeries performed for other reasons. In these cases, the cancer may be caught at an early stage before symptoms have developed.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

Colorectal Cancer Screenings Should Start at 45, Say Guidelines
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) has updated its guidelines for colorectal cancer screening to recommend that adults at average risk s...
Surprising Ways Aspirin Protects Against Gastrointestinal Cancer
In addition to introducing Emily Wickersham as the future Agent Bishop, the broadcast of the NCIS episode, Gut Check, challenged the team’s newest ass...
How does diet affect my risk of stomach cancer?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Nitrates and nitrites in smoked and preserved meats can form compounds called nitrosamines. Animal s...
How can I help my family cope with my diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
It is common that a diagnosis of colon or rectal cancer may both frighten and upset your family. How...