Can the Mediterranean diet reduce my risk of gastrointestinal (GI) cancer?

You could cut your risk of stomach cancer by a whopping 33 percent if you eat like a Greek.

That means bulking up on fruit, vegetables, legumes and healthy fats from olive oil, nuts, seeds and fish. And taking it easy on red meat, dairy and alcohol. These are all key characteristics of a Mediterranean-style diet.

You've probably never thought twice about your risk of stomach cancer. It's not a terribly common cancer, but the prognosis is poor if it's found in the late stages. Still, like so many diseases, the ability to reduce risk is in your hands. While a recent nine-year study revealed the powerful stomach-cancer-thwarting potential of Mediterranean-type diets, limiting salt in your diet and not smoking are also helpful habits when it comes to stomach health.

Many other studies have suggested a cancer-preventive benefit to a Mediterranean diet. And researchers posit that the disease defense may come from eating a greater quantity and variety of fruits and vegetables because doing so automatically ups your intake of protective antioxidants like vitamin C, flavonoids, carotenoids and phenols. And eating less meat is a boon to disease prevention as well. 

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Cancer

What should I do if I think I have gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Given the many recent advances in molecular genetics, diagnostic imaging modalities, modern surg...
Are the symptoms the same for colon, rectal, and anal cancer?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Symptoms for colon, rectal and anal cancer can be similar, but none of the symptoms are specific to ...
What is gastrointestinal cancer?
Daniel Labow, MDDaniel Labow, MD
Gastrointestinal cancer refers to cancers of the gastrointestinal tract including the esophagus,...
What is carcinoid syndrome?
Carcinoid syndrome is a combination of symptoms caused by the release of serotonin and other substan...