How soon after taking pancreatic enzymes will my symptoms improve?

Pancreatic enzymes begin to work fairly immediately after taking them. They continue to work for about an hour to digest the food that has been consumed. The length of time that you will need to take pancreatic enzymes depends on your condition. If you have had your entire pancreas removed or it is badly damaged, you will need to stay on pancreatic enzymes permanently. If the pancreas has been only partly removed or has damage that can heal, it may become functional enough so that you can stop pancreatic enzyme therapy. However, that could take several months.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...
How effective are bile acid sequestrants?
Bile acid sequestrants can lower LDL 15% or more at high doses and raise HDL modestly. They do not l...
How safe are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)?
Proton pump inhibitors are over-the-counter medicines that help relieve heartburn and treat ulcers. ...
How effective are anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Anticholinergic bronchodilators are as effective as long-acting beta-agonists in improving airflow a...