What should I know about Alvimopan before taking it?

Alvimopan is for short-term use only and can only be given in hospitals. It can interact with medicines such as codeine that belong to the opioid group, increasing the severity of side effects. Tell your doctor if you have taken any opioids in the week prior to being treated with alvimopan. Also tell your doctor if you have had problems with bowel blockage in the past or if you are scheduled to have bowel obstruction surgery. Your doctor should also know if you have a history of liver disease or kidney problems.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...
Can pregnant women take Toviaz?
Because it is not known how Toviaz (fesoterodine) may affect unborn babies, women who are pregnant o...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
What are anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Anticholinergic bronchodilators are medications used to open the lungs when they are in spasm for co...