What is simethicone?

Simethicone is used to treat the symptoms of gas, such as uncomfortable or painful pressure, fullness and bloating. Simethicone targets small bubbles of gas in the stomach and intestines. By changing the surface pressure of the bubbles, simethicone makes it easier for small bubbles to connect with other bubbles, reducing pain.

Simethicone is an ingredient in both over-the-counter and prescription drugs. Simethicone comes in many different gas relief medications, including Gas-X and Mylanta anti-gas products.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

How effective are anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Anticholinergic bronchodilators are as effective as long-acting beta-agonists in improving airflow a...
What is Cholbam?
Cholbam is a bile acid intended for the treatment of genetic illnesses that prevent the creation of ...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
How effective are proton pump inhibitors?
PPIs are preferred as the first treatment for acid reflux disease when symptoms become increasingly ...