Can I take olsalazine if I am breastfeeding?

Olsalazine is a prodrug, meaning it is converted in the body to the active form, called mesalamine, which does appear in breast milk. There have been some reports that nursing infants exposed to mesalamine in breast milk experience diarrhea.
Olsalazine (Dipentum) is intended for people with ulcerative colitis, a type of inflammatory bowel disease.
If you need to take olsalazine to control your symptoms, you should discuss the possible effects with your doctor and the pediatrician.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What is Cholbam?
Cholbam is a bile acid intended for the treatment of genetic illnesses that prevent the creation of ...
Can pregnant women take Toviaz?
Because it is not known how Toviaz (fesoterodine) may affect unborn babies, women who are pregnant o...
What are urinary anticholinergics?
Urinary anticholinergics are drugs that relax the bladder, increasing its capacity and reducing pres...
Do proton pump inhibitors interact with other medications?
If you are taking any of these medications, proton pump inhibitors can lead to side effects and shou...