What should I know about propantheline before taking it?

Propantheline treats stomach ulcers by reducing muscle spasms in your stomach, intestines, and bladder. This helps to lower your body's production of stomach acid. You should not take propantheline if you have
glaucoma, an irritated esophagus or bladder, bowel inflammation or other problems, muscle problems, or heart problems.

Other medical conditions may complicate the use of propantheline. These include a fast or irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, hiatal hernia, and urination problems. Before taking propantheline, you should also tell your doctor if you have kidney, liver, lung, or nervous system problems, or if you have thyroid disease.

Propantheline can cause dizziness, drowsiness, and blurred vision, and can make your eyes more sensitive to light. Alcohol, heat, and exercise can make these side effects worse. You should not drive or do dangerous tasks until you know how propantheline affects you. Use caution during hot weather and while exercising to avoid overheating, and drink plenty of fluids.

Propantheline can interact with certain medications, including antiarrhythmics, other anticholinergics, belladonna alkaloids, corticosteroids, narcotics, phenothiazines, and tricyclic antidepressants. Tell your doctor about any medication you take, including over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal remedies, before beginning to take propantheline. Propantheline may be harmful to an unborn child, although the benefits to pregnant women may outweigh the risks. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, discuss the risks and benefits of using propantheline with your doctor.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

How safe are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)?
Proton pump inhibitors are over-the-counter medicines that help relieve heartburn and treat ulcers. ...
What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...
What is Cholbam?
Cholbam is a bile acid intended for the treatment of genetic illnesses that prevent the creation of ...
What are anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Anticholinergic bronchodilators are medications used to open the lungs when they are in spasm for co...