If I am pregnant, is it safe to use propantheline?

If you're pregnant, talk to your doctor before taking propantheline (Pro-Banthine), a drug prescribed with other medicines to treat peptic ulcers (sores in the lining of the stomach and small intestine). Doctors aren't sure if propantheline is safe to take during pregnancy because there hasn't been enough research examining the effects of propantheline in pregnant women. You should take propantheline only if you and your doctor together determine that the benefits of the drug to you outweigh any potential risks to your developing fetus. If you become pregnant while taking propantheline, call your doctor right away.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...
What medications interact with sulfasalazine?
If you are taking heparin, methotrexate, or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, sulfasalazine may...
Who should not take proton pump inhibitors?
Proton pump inhibitors may not be good options for women who are pregnant, may be pregnant, or plann...
What side effects do urinary anticholinergics have?
Side effects may include dryness of the mouth, eyes, and sinuses, blurred vision, abnormal taste, di...