How should I take promethazine suppositories?

Promethazine suppositories are designed to be inserted into the rectum and should never be taken orally or vaginally. The suppository form of promethazine is typically prescribed to treat nausea and vomiting when an individual is unable to swallow or retain the oral tablet form. Wash your hands prior to touching the suppository to prevent infection. Remove the foil wrapper and run cold water over the suppository to moisten it. Lie on your side and gently insert the suppository one-half to one inch inside the rectum using one finger. If the suppository is too moist to easily insert into your rectum, it may be placed in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to insertion. Using a water-based lubricant may ease insertion. Oil-based lubricants should not be used because it may interfere with absorption of promethazine into the system. Remain lying down for 15 minutes. If possible, do not have a bowel movement for at least one hour after inserting the medication.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What other medications interact with urinary anticholinergics?
If you are taking an anticholinergic bronchodilator, conivaptan, eluxadoline, fusidic acid, idelalis...
What are the side effects of anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Side effects of anticholinergic bronchodilators may include coughing, headaches, dizziness, blurred ...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
Do proton pump inhibitors have any side effects?
Dr. Kent A. Holtorf, MDDr. Kent A. Holtorf, MD
Proton pump inhibitors, such as Nexium, Protonics and Prevacid, are associated with dramatic increas...