How are proton pump inhibitors misused?

Approximately 15 million Americans suffer from heartburn every single day. To get relief, many take OTC drugs called proton pump inhibitors, or PPIS, that work by shutting down stomach-acid production. Frequent PPI use has been shown to form some sort of drug dependency in as little as a few weeks. Also the low-acid environment created by PPIs decreases absorption of calcium, which increases fracture risk (especially in women) and is also linked to vitamin B12 deficiency, which can cause nerve damage. Because of this, it is generally recommended that you do not take a PPI for more than 1 year. Follow the directions on the package.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What are proton pump inhibitors?
Gary W. Falk, MDGary W. Falk, MD
Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are medications prescribed for patients suffering from gastroesophagea...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
How effective is sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine has been used to treat RA for many years. Studies show that it is effective and works ...
What is Cholbam?
Cholbam is a bile acid intended for the treatment of genetic illnesses that prevent the creation of ...