How does promethazine treat cold and allergy symptoms?

Promethazine is prescribed to control symptoms of allergies and colds, such as runny nose, watery eyes, coughing, sneezing, and itching. It blocks histamine receptors and thus prevents the effects of histamines in the body. Promethazine can also control a severe allergic reaction, called an anaphylactic allergic reaction. Promethazine does not cure colds or allergies, nor does it speed up the recovery from these conditions. It does however, control symptoms arising from these conditions.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

How effective is sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine has been used to treat RA for many years. Studies show that it is effective and works ...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
What should I know before taking anticholinergic bronchodilators?
A long-acting inhaled anticholinergic is one of the preferred treatments for people with few, mild d...
What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...