How does promethazine treat cold and allergy symptoms?

Promethazine is prescribed to control symptoms of allergies and colds, such as runny nose, watery eyes, coughing, sneezing, and itching. It blocks histamine receptors and thus prevents the effects of histamines in the body. Promethazine can also control a severe allergic reaction, called an anaphylactic allergic reaction. Promethazine does not cure colds or allergies, nor does it speed up the recovery from these conditions. It does however, control symptoms arising from these conditions.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...
What is Cholbam?
Cholbam is a bile acid intended for the treatment of genetic illnesses that prevent the creation of ...
What are the side effects of anticholinergic bronchodilators?
Side effects of anticholinergic bronchodilators may include coughing, headaches, dizziness, blurred ...
How safe are proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)?
Proton pump inhibitors are over-the-counter medicines that help relieve heartburn and treat ulcers. ...