What is the difference between VPRIV and Cerezyme?

VPRIV and Cerezyme are extremely similar. They replace the same enzyme (glucocerebrosidase) and treat the same life-long problem (Gaucher's disease). They are even administered in the same fashion, in the same amounts, for the same amount of time. They also cause very similar side effects. Cerezyme's active ingredient is imiglucerase, as opposed to VPRIV's active ingredient, velaglucerase alfa. VPRIV entered the market more recently than Cerezyme, and neither drug is available as a generic. If you are receiving Cerezyme and are interested in switching to VPRIV, ask your doctor.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...
How effective is sulfasalazine?
Sulfasalazine has been used to treat RA for many years. Studies show that it is effective and works ...
Can pregnant women take Toviaz?
Because it is not known how Toviaz (fesoterodine) may affect unborn babies, women who are pregnant o...
What should I know before taking sulfasalazine?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests and check your liver function before you start treatment. I...