What are promethazine suppositories?

Promethazine is a prescription antihistamine used to treat a variety of conditions. The suppositories are usually used to prevent nausea and vomiting, particularly after surgery when people cannot take anything by mouth. It is frequently used to treat allergy symptoms like sneezing, red and watery eyes, runny nose and itchy skin. It can induce sedation and prevent motion sickness. Promethazine does not treat the underlying condition, but instead treats the symptoms resulting from the condition. Promethazine, in the phenothiazines class of medications, blocks the action of histamine. The medication is available in several other formulations: tablet, oral solution and injection.

Continue Learning about Gastrointestinal Agent

What can I do if I have EPI and forget to take my enzyme replacement?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and forget to take your enzyme replacement, take...
Do proton pump inhibitors interact with other medications?
If you are taking any of these medications, proton pump inhibitors can lead to side effects and shou...
What should I know before taking a urinary anticholinergic?
Urinary anticholinergics may take weeks to reach their full effectiveness. For this reason, some exp...
Do proton pump inhibitors have any side effects?
Dr. Kent A. Holtorf, MDDr. Kent A. Holtorf, MD
Proton pump inhibitors, such as Nexium, Protonics and Prevacid, are associated with dramatic increas...