How do medications treat gastritis?

Different medications may be used depending on the cause of gastritis. Most, like H2 agonists, proton pump inhibitors, and antacids aim to reduce or neutralize the acidity in the stomach. When a blocked stomach outlet is caused by a type of gastritis called eosinophilic gastritis, corticosteroids may be prescribed. Antibiotics may be used if a bacterial infection is the cause. If parasites are the cause (which is rare), an antiparasitic medication will likely be prescribed. Sucralfate may be recommended to treat or prevent ulcers.

Continue Learning about Gastritis

How does gastritis affect the body?
Wearing down of the stomach lining associated with gastritis can lead to ulcers. Frequent nausea and...
How is gastritis treated?
Heather McDougall, MDHeather McDougall, MD
Gastritis is inflammation or irritation of the stomach which can be attributed to many different cau...
Should I talk to my doctor about gastritis?
You should talk to your doctor about gastritis, especially if your indigestion continues for a week ...
What are the symptoms of gastritis?
Individuals with gastritis typically do not experience symptoms. Those who do experience feelings of...