How do medications treat gastritis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Different medications may be used depending on the cause of gastritis. Most, like H2 agonists, proton pump inhibitors, and antacids aim to reduce or neutralize the acidity in the stomach. When a blocked stomach outlet is caused by a type of gastritis called eosinophilic gastritis, corticosteroids may be prescribed. Antibiotics may be used if a bacterial infection is the cause. If parasites are the cause (which is rare), an antiparasitic medication will likely be prescribed. Sucralfate may be recommended to treat or prevent ulcers.

Continue Learning about Gastritis

What is gastritis?
Gastritis occurs when the lining of the stomach becomes inflamed, resulting in stomach pain, nausea ...
How do I manage my gastritis?
The first step to managing your gastritis is to follow your doctor's instructions. Gastritis can hav...
How is gastritis treated?
Treatment for gastritis usually involves taking drugs to reduce stomach acid, which relieves the sym...
What is atrophic gastritis?
Atrophic gastritis is the breakdown of the stomach lining (mucosa) and glands that produce pepsin an...