Q

Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

How much weight can I expect to lose after bariatric surgery?

• Weight loss after bariatric surgery varies from person to person. Typically, you'll lose weight quickly after the first few months and then the pounds will come off more slowly. It usually takes about 12 to 18 months to achieve maximum weight loss, the typical amount being 60 to 70 percent of excess body weight. The amount you lose will vary based on your dietary and daily exercise habits.

You can expect some or all of your obesity-related medical problems to improve as you lose weight. Some patients are even able to discontinue their medications for diabetes and high blood pressure shortly after surgery.

• A Surgery, answered on behalf of
    Weight loss after bariatric surgery varies from person to person. Typically, you'll lose weight quickly after the first few months and then the pounds will come off more slowly. It usually takes about 12 to 18 months to achieve maximum weight loss. Most people lost about 60%-70% of their excess body weight. The amount you lose also depends on your diet and exercise habits.

You can also expect some or all of your obesity-related medical problems to improve as you lose weight. Many patients can stop theirmedications for diabetes and high blood pressure shortly after surgery.
  • A Surgery, answered on behalf of
    With bariatric surgery, it depends on the procedure. Gastric bypass has a higher level of weight loss and we see 65 to 85% of excess body weight lost. For example, if a person is 100 pounds overweight, on average 60 to 85 of those pounds will be lost. With gastric sleeve surgery, we see 60 to 75% of excess body weight loss. With lap band, we see 40 to 60%. It just depends. It's very important to eat the way that you're supposed to eat. It’s also important to add in exercise. Multiple studies show that if people aren't moving and adding exercise into their daily routine, their weight loss will not be as significant.
  • Weight loss from bariatric surgery varies widely, depending on many factors, such as the patient’s age, starting weight, ability to exercise, and the type of operation used. On average, patients lose one-half to two-thirds of their initial excess weight at the end of one year. Initially heavier patients tend to lose more actual pounds, but lighter patient are more likely to come closer to their ideal weight. The average patient in our program loses 70% of their excess weight, and over 95% of the patients lose at least half of their excess body weight with gastric bypass. Lap-band patients average 50% of their excess weight, although 70% of excess weight-loss is possible depending on patients' motivation.
  • How Much Weight Can I Expect to Lose After Bariatric Surgery?
    Weight loss after bariatric surgery averages from five to 10 pounds a month. In this video, Richard DiCicco, MD, a bariatric surgeon at Memorial Hospital of Tampa, describes how sticking with eating and exercise programs after surgery plays a role.
    Weight loss after bariatric surgery varies from patient to patient, says Ernest Rehnke, MD, in bariatrics and general surgery at Palms of Pasadena Hospital. Learn more in this video.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How should I follow up with my doctor after bariatric surgery?