Should protein supplements be taken after gastric bypass surgery?

Kate Myerson

It is important to get adequate protein after gastric bypass, typically 60 grams a day, but that can vary from person to person. In the beginning you may be instructed to consume a liquid diet which may make it difficult to get in enough protein. In this case a protein supplement is a good choice. Look for one that is low in sugar. Make sure you try it out ahead of time to make sure it is tolerable and palatable. Eventually you can move on to some soft cooked or blended meats, egg or egg whites, low fat cottage cheese and light yogurt for protein as well.

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
That meant imbibing, ever so slowly, protein shakes for several weeks. I was so glad that my friend Paula M.M. had advised me to sample various protein powders before the surgery so that I would find one I could tolerate on a daily basis. The commercials for some protein supplements are just lies! Lies, I tell you! Some of them are chalky, flavorless, and do not dissolve as easily as their manufacturers claim. “Oh! They are so creamy and delicious!” ads proclaim. Yeah, if you like eating paste. One brand never did dissolve into liquid. I stirred and stirred, then put the mix in my food processor for three minutes just to get the lumps out. With that nasty drink, I would have not only lost weight, I would have starved to death! I did find, finally, a chocolate-flavored one I could abide. Mixing it sometimes with nondairy milk and sometimes with water - that was the extent of my variety when it came to the protein shake.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Double Trouble: Unexpected Result of Sleeve Gastrectomy
College Times says the top three movies to watch when you’re tipsy are Superbad, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We ...
What changes should I expect after gastric bypass surgery?
Rodrick D. McKinlay, MDRodrick D. McKinlay, MD
Some of the changes you can expect after gastric bypass surgery are: learning to eat differently...
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
A surgeon describes what to expect from this popular weight loss surgery.
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?