How will a gastric bypass procedure change my eating habits?

Rebecca Beecroft
Nursing Specialist

Gastric bypass will limit the amount of food you can eat at one time because the smaller stomach pouch will make you feel full sooner.

Depending on how the procedure is done, you will have to give up all carbonated beverages for at least one year.

You will need to eat a very balanced diet because you need to focus on meeting your body's metabolic needs, which means eating lean protein and lots of fruit and vegetables. You also need to maintain calorie restrictions, usually not more than 1,200 calories a day.

High fat meals may cause dumping syndrome, which is a heavy feeling in the stomach, cold sweat, and then uncontrolled diarrhea. This will be important to remember when dining out.

Continue Learning about Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Which Weight Loss Surgery Is the Safest?
Do the Benefits of Weight-Loss Surgery Outweigh the Risks?
Why Should I Go to an Information Seminar before Weight Loss Surgery?
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?
What Is Gastric Bypass Surgery?