What diet should I follow after gastric bypass surgery?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

The opening of the four-phase postsurgery diet plan Dr. Lourie provided said, “It will be necessary for you to follow a nutritionally complete diet designed to allow both healthy healing and recovery as well as ensure safe weight loss during the first few months after your gastric bypass.”

I had read that document fifty-seven times by the time I had the surgery. “To help prevent discomfort, overstretching of the pouch, leaks or rupture at the staple lines, and complications from poor healing or malnutrition, this diet schedule must be carefully followed.”

Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Smart Choices After Gastric Bypass Surgery
In 2015, for the more than 45,000 people in the U.S. who had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RNYGB) surgery, the gastrointestinal perils they encountered po...
What are gastric bypass procedures?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Gastric bypass procedures, in general, simply make the stomach smaller so there is less room for...
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
A surgeon describes what to expect from this popular weight loss surgery.
Why Should I Go to an Information Seminar before Weight Loss Surgery?