Should beverages be taken with meals after gastric bypass surgery?

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

I would also have to give up the habit of having a beverage with my meals. My nutritionist told me that it was not wise for me to eat and drink together because doing so could result in dumping syndrome, a trauma to my stomach that could cause diarrhea and vomiting, and damage to my new stomach. The same could happen from ingesting food or liquid too quickly.

As I understand it, it would behoove many people to stop having a beverage with meals. As we chew, our saliva glands release enzymes to aid in digestion. When we drink during a meal, we wash away those very important enzymes and cause the body to begin working in overdrive because the necessary process has been interrupted.

Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y)

Double Trouble: Unexpected Result of Sleeve Gastrectomy
College Times says the top three movies to watch when you’re tipsy are Superbad, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. We ...
Should vitamins and minerals be taken daily post gastric bypass surgery?
Tonya BoldenTonya Bolden
As with my “meals,” I’d have to ingest supplements ever so slowly. No popping a tablet or capsule. I...
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
Bariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 ClicksBariatric Surgery Explained in 5 Clicks
A surgeon describes what to expect from this popular weight loss surgery.
What Are the Different Kinds of Bariatric Surgery?