How can I test to see if my belly pain is caused by gallstones?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology

The most common test for gallstones is an abdominal ultrasound.

The examination is painless and involves having the ultrasound specialist smear some lubricant over the area being checked. Then an ultrasound probe (transducer) is passed over the lubricated area. Ultrasound examinations are used to check many areas of the body.

Abdominal ultrasound produces a picture of internal organs of the belly. The right upper abdomen is the focus when looking for gallstones (right upper quadrant). The examination may also include more of the abdomen than just the gallbladder, including the liver and pancreas.

Continue Learning about Gallstones

What causes gallstones?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Doctors are not sure about what causes gallstones. It's possible that the bile in your gallbladder m...
Can gallstones be prevented?
Dr. Lisa Ganjhu, DODr. Lisa Ganjhu, DO
One way to prevent gallstones is to eat the right stuff. In this video, gastroenterologist Dr. Lisa ...
Dr. Rayls - What Causes Gallstones?
Dr. Rayls - What Causes Gallstones?
Can Gallstones Be Broken Up Like Kidney Stones?