What is likely to cause pain in the upper right part of my stomach?

Most common diagnosis: Gallstones 

If you experience a sharp, stabbing pain in the upper right part of your abdomen, lasting anywhere from mere seconds to a few hours, you could have gallstones. The gallbladder is located beneath the liver. The gallbladder is charged with producing bile to break down the fat in food. Too much cholesterol in bile leads to the sometimes painful presence of gallstones. 

What you can do: While one brief episode is not a cause for alarm, if the pain persists, if you experience it several times, or if it’s accompanied by a fever, go to your doctor immediately.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Gallstones

If I think I might have gallstones, when should I see a doctor?
Often gallstones don't block anything or cause any symptoms; you may not even know they are present....
Are gallstones serious?
Gallstones can be serious if they cause a blockage in your bile duct. This can lead to an infect...
What is a good diet for someone who has had gallbladder surgery?
Brandon Regional HospitalBrandon Regional Hospital
Small, low-fat meals are best for post-gallbladder surgery.
What does a hiatus scan accomplish?
A hiatus scan tests the gallbladder function.