What is the history of the term G-spot?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

History: “G” stands for Grafenberg, the gynecologist who “discovered” the spot. In 1950 he wrote an academic article about the role of the urethra in female sexual response, particularly with regard to orgasm through vaginal penetration. The “G-spot” was named by researchers Beverly Whipple and John Perry, 30 years after Grafenberg’s original article was published.

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about G-Spot Stimulation

Why should I pee before G-spot stimulation?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
A crucial rule of G-spot stimulation is to pee first. This is mostly for psychological reasons: When...
Where is the G-spot?
The G-spot seems elusive, but it's located behind the belly button, about one to two inches along th...
What are some general guidelines for exploring the G-spot?
Emily NagoskiEmily Nagoski
To sum up, I’ll give you three general guidelines to follow while you’re exploring the G-spot: Start...
What is the G-spot?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
The G-spot, or Grafenberg spot, named after the gynecologist who first identified it, is a mound...