When should I call the doctor about my child’s ringworm?

Call your child’s doctor if the:

• Skin rash has not cleared up in three weeks
  • Rash continues to spread after one week of treatment
  • Rash spreads from the scalp to the body, or the body to the scalp
Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

If you have tried the over-the-counter creams on your child's ringworm and it is not helping or is getting worse, you should call your child's doctor. Many times the over-the-counter creams will help, but people stop when it is getting better rather than when it is gone. In addition, ringworm of the scalp usually does not respond to creams because of the thick keratin layer of the scalp, so the best bet for scalp ringworm is to see the pediatrician.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

How do other illnesses affect fungal infections?
Fungal infections are many times encouraged by different illnesses that allow for a weakened immune ...
Does pregnancy affect vaginal fungal infection treatment?
Being pregnant may affect your treatment for a vaginal fungal infection. You may be advised not to t...
How are fungal infections diagnosed?
Doctors use different techniques to diagnose fungal infection depending on whether it is a superfici...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot