Are there other ways to treat vaginal fungal infections?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Candida is another word for yeast. Yeast is a type of fungus. There are many natural treatments for candida. I tell my patients who have recurrent vaginal yeast infections that they should decrease their carbohydrate intake as well as stop eating any type of simple sugars ( sodas and candy). Yeast grows by sugar, and by decreasing carbs and sugar, this will help decrease the chance of yeast to grow. Other natural treatments are the daily use of acidophilus. Acidophilus is a probiotic that will help increase the natural bacterial flora in the vagina, and the more good bacteria that you have in your system, and in your vagina, will help deter yeast from overgrowing.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

What is the rate of incidence for fungal infections?
There are over 50,000 species of fungi, but less than 200 of those species can cause human fungal in...
How long does it take to cure fungal infections?
The duration of treatment for fungal infections depends on whether it is a superficial fungal infect...
What is aspergillosis?
Aspergillosis is an infectious fungal disease that occurs most often in the skin, ears, nasal sinuse...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot