How do I take vaginal anti-fungal medication?

Just like when you take any other type of medication, how you take it depends on what form it comes in.

Vaginal anti-fungal medications usually come in one of three forms: cream, tablet, or suppository.  Some are available over-the-counter and others require a prescription from your doc. Creams are inserted into the vagina manually. If creams seem a bit too messy for your taste, you could try using vaginal tablets that are placed into the vagina using an applicator (like how you might insert a tampon).

Finally, you could try a vaginal suppository, in which a gel-like substance is inserted vaginally (also using an applicator).

If you’re unsure about which one is right for you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

How does my location affect fungal infections?
Certain fungi are specific to a given location and, thus, the type of fungal infection you devel...
How do fungal infections affect the body?
Fungal infections occur because of exposure to a fungus when there is a weakness in the body. This w...
How are fungal infections diagnosed?
Doctors use different techniques to diagnose fungal infection depending on whether it is a superfici...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot