Are fungal infections serious?

Fungal infections can be very serious regardless of whether they are superficial or deep tissue fungal infections. Even superficial infections, which are usually just irritating, can spread below the skin and affect the deep tissues.

In deep tissue fungal infections, healthy individuals can suffer from effects somewhat like the flu, with a high temperature, cough, and an all-over ill feeling. Other infections wait for a break or weakness in the immune system to manifest symptoms and spread. Once they do spread in a weakened immune system, fungal infections can cause chest pain, loss of weight, perspiring, and lung, blood, bone, and systemic diseases. These diseases can cause permanent damage to your body.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

What is histoplasmosis?
Histoplasmosis is a disease sometimes associated with bats. Its symptoms vary greatly, but the disea...
How do I manage my fungal infections on a daily basis?
You can manage your fungal infections on a daily basis by following the indications of your doctor r...
Is tinea considered a fungal infection?
Tinea is considered a kind of fungal infection and it affects the hair, skin, and nails. Ringworm is...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot