Are there any alternative treatments for vaginal fungal infections?

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

There are alternative treatments that may help vaginal fungal infections. Some women have found success from using tea tree oil cream, garlic suppositories and vinegar douches. However, these treatments have not been scientifically proven. While boric acid suppositories have been shown to have up to 70 percent effectiveness, there is no generally accepted regimen for this treatment; also, boric acid should not be used in pregnancy. The main alternative treatment with scientific backing is the use of the probiotic lactobacillus, which can be used intravaginally or taken by mouth. Talk to your doctor if you may have a vaginal fungal infection to help decide what treatment is best for you.

Continue Learning about Fungal Infections

How do other illnesses affect fungal infections?
Fungal infections are many times encouraged by different illnesses that allow for a weakened immune ...
How do I manage my fungal infections on a daily basis?
You can manage your fungal infections on a daily basis by following the indications of your doctor r...
What is the rate of incidence for fungal infections?
There are over 50,000 species of fungi, but less than 200 of those species can cause human fungal in...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot