How does the nervous system help control urination?

Before toilet training, a simple reflex controls the timing of urination. Stretch-detecting sensory nerves in the detrusor muscle signal the spinal cord that the bladder is filling with urine. In response, motor nerves from the spine signal the bladder muscles to contract and the urethra and pelvic floor muscles to relax, allowing urination. As the brain matures, it is able to override the spinal nerves' automatic signal for the bladder to empty. The bladder gradually becomes capable of storing greater amounts of urine, and a child learns to urinate when it is convenient and socially acceptable.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Nervous System

Could a clot in my neck be affecting my brain function?
AARPAARP
Check your neck. It may sound crazy, but a clot in your neck can stunt your memory by preventing eno...
How do the brain and spinal cord help with bladder control?
Jill RabinJill Rabin
Your brain and your spinal cord serve as the command center for control. They coordinate the bladder...
How do our bodies react to music?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In addition to the many ways music activates the brain, neurological studies show that happy tunes, ...
How does our internal electrical system work?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When we squeeze a door knob, or switch on a light, we are able to do so because our nervous system h...