What do the hippocampus and amygdala do?

The hippocampus is responsible for the processing and storage of short-term memory. The amygdala is responsible for emotions, moods, and other functions related to depression and anxiety.
YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger

Between your full-length mirror and high-school biology class, you probably think you know a lot about the human body. While it's true that we live in an age when we're as obsessed with our bodies as...

Continue Learning about Functions of the Nervous System

Could a clot in my neck be affecting my brain function?
AARPAARP
Check your neck. It may sound crazy, but a clot in your neck can stunt your memory by preventing eno...
How does the central nervous system communicate with the body?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
The central nervous system (CNS) is composed of the brain and the spinal cord. The central nervous s...
What is central nervous system sanctuary therapy?
Central nervous system sanctuary therapy is chemotherapy or radiation therapy given to the central n...
How does our body make electricity?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
We may not be able to power our television sets or computers with the electrical signals we make -- ...