Could a clot in my neck be affecting my brain function?

Check your neck. It may sound crazy, but a clot in your neck can stunt your memory by preventing enough blood and oxygen from getting to your brain. At your next checkup, ask your doctor to use the other side of his stethoscope to ensure that all's clear in your carotid artery — the main one in your neck.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Nervous System

What is the role of the parasympathetic nervous system?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
The parasympathetic branch of your autonomic nervous system also originates in your spinal cord. Act...
What are the effects of different levels of serotonin?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Optimal Level of SerotoninHopeful, optimistic Calm "Good-natured" Patient Reflective and thoughtful ...
How do our bodies react to music?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
In addition to the many ways music activates the brain, neurological studies show that happy tunes, ...
What is the role of the sympathetic nervous system?
The sympathetic branch of your autonomic nervous system originates in the spinal cord. It goes into ...