What is total lung capacity?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
The total lung capacity (TLC) is the most air that you can inspire into your lungs. It is made up of the following:
  • Tidal volume (TV): the usual amount of air that you breathe in and out of your lungs with a normal breath
  • Inspiratory Reserve Volume (IRV): additional air that you can force into your lungs after you breathe in the tidal volume
  • Expiratory reserve volume (ERV): after you breathe out normally, the ERV is additional air that you can force out
  • Residual volume (RV): the air that remains in your lungs after you force out as much as possible
Therefore: Total Lung Capacity= TV+IRV+RV+ERV

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?
A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may be...
How do the right and left lung differ?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The right lung has three lobes, and the left lung has two. The left lung also has a cardiac notch, w...
What are the lungs made of?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
The lungs are composed of various specialized cells and tissues -- not just simple tubes or pipe...
How do the lungs protect themselves from dust and dirt in the air?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To protect themselves from dust and dirt in the air, the lungs produce mucus. Mucus traps the dust a...