What happens when lungs are diseased?

When lungs become diseased, they no longer can maintain the necessary exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. A number of diseases and conditions can cause lungs to become so dysfunctional that one or both of them may need to be replaced through transplantation.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

How do the lungs protect themselves from dust and dirt in the air?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To protect themselves from dust and dirt in the air, the lungs produce mucus. Mucus traps the dust a...
What are the lungs made of?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
The lungs are composed of various specialized cells and tissues -- not just simple tubes or pipe...
Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?
A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may be...
What function do the lungs perform?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
The lungs play a critical role in the body, extracting oxygen from inhaled air for distribution via ...