What happens when lungs are diseased?

When lungs become diseased, they no longer can maintain the necessary exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide. A number of diseases and conditions can cause lungs to become so dysfunctional that one or both of them may need to be replaced through transplantation.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

How does our respiratory system work?
Think of your respiratory system as an upside-down tree. When air enters your body, it goes down you...
What is total lung capacity?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The total lung capacity (TLC) is the most air that you can inspire into your lungs. It is made up of...
Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?
A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may be...
How do the lungs protect themselves from dust and dirt in the air?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To protect themselves from dust and dirt in the air, the lungs produce mucus. Mucus traps the dust a...