What function do the lungs perform?

The lungs play a critical role in the body, extracting oxygen from inhaled air for distribution via the bloodstream to every cell in the body. Conversely, during exhalation the lungs expel waste -- carbon dioxide produced when cells use oxygen.
Claudia I. Henschke, MD
Diagnostic Radiology
Absorbing oxygen from the air through the process of inhalation, the lungs bring oxygen into the bloodstream, which carries oxygen to the rest of the body. The cells of the body release carbon dioxide as they use oxygen. This is carried back to the lungs by the veins. The carbon dioxide leaves the lungs when the lungs exhale. Most of the cells in the lungs are called epithelial cells. These line the airways and produce mucus, which lubricates and protects the lungs.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

What are the lungs made of?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
The lungs are composed of various specialized cells and tissues -- not just simple tubes or pipe...
Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?
A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may be...
What is the capacity of an average set of lungs?
Pam GroutPam Grout
Your lungs are capable of holding up to seventeen pints of air per breath. When you breathe in only ...
What is the role of the lungs?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The lungs take in oxygen, which cells need to live and carry out their normal functions. The lun...