Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?

A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may become loculated, which mean it has become encased in a membrane or within certain areas surrounding the lung. A chest x-ray can help your doctor to determine if this has occurred. Additionally, a chest x-ray may also be able to pick up a lung cancer, or other lung diseases that may be causing the pleural effusion.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

How do the right and left lung differ?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The right lung has three lobes, and the left lung has two. The left lung also has a cardiac notch, w...
How does our respiratory system work?
Think of your respiratory system as an upside-down tree. When air enters your body, it goes down you...
What are the lungs made of?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
The lungs are composed of various specialized cells and tissues -- not just simple tubes or pipe...
What happens when lungs are diseased?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
When lungs become diseased, they no longer can maintain the necessary exchange of oxygen and carbo...