Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?

A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may become loculated, which mean it has become encased in a membrane or within certain areas surrounding the lung. A chest x-ray can help your doctor to determine if this has occurred. Additionally, a chest x-ray may also be able to pick up a lung cancer, or other lung diseases that may be causing the pleural effusion.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

What happens to the lungs as we age?
Unfortunately, as we age, structural changes occur in the lungs and other components of the respirat...
How does our respiratory system work?
Think of your respiratory system as an upside-down tree. When air enters your body, it goes down you...
What function do the lungs perform?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
The lungs play a critical role in the body, extracting oxygen from inhaled air for distribution via ...
What are the lungs made of?
Paul M. Ehrlich, MDPaul M. Ehrlich, MD
The lungs are composed of various specialized cells and tissues -- not just simple tubes or pipe...