What is the capacity of an average set of lungs?

Pam Grout
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

Your lungs are capable of holding up to seventeen pints of air per breath. When you breathe in only two or three pints - which is the average for the adult American - you interfere with the magnificent tool your body has handed you. They're capable of taking in seventeen pints of oxygen because that's how they work best.

Jumpstart Your Metabolism: How To Lose Weight By Changing The Way You Breathe

If you've tried every conceivable combination of diet and exercise and still can't shed those extra pounds, then perhaps you haven't discovered the hidden key to weight loss -- proper breathing. By...

Continue Learning about Functions of the Lungs

Why do I need an x-ray to see my pleural effusion?
A chest x-ray may help to determine the extent of the pleural effusion. Sometimes an effusion may be...
What is total lung capacity?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
The total lung capacity (TLC) is the most air that you can inspire into your lungs. It is made up of...
What is the role of the lungs?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The lungs take in oxygen, which cells need to live and carry out their normal functions. The lun...
What function do the lungs perform?
Claudia I. Henschke, MDClaudia I. Henschke, MD
Absorbing oxygen from the air through the process of inhalation, the lungs bring oxygen into the...