Why does the brain have pleasure centers?

Ronald Siegel
Experts theorize that because human survival depends on achieving basic goals such as finding food and procreating, a rush of pleasurable sensations associated with eating or having sex would positively reinforce these behaviors, leading people to repeat them and hence increase their chances of surviving and reproducing.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
How is a woman’s brain different from a man’s?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
Men and women are equally smart, but each sex tends to use different parts of the brain to solve pro...
What is the nucleus accumbens?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The nucleus accumbens is the area of the brain that seeks pleasure and reward. That part of a teenag...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?