What is the function of the brainstem?

The brainstem, an extension of the spinal cord, is the oldest part of the brain in evolutionary terms. It connects the rest of the brain to the spinal cord and regulates blood pressure, breathing, chewing, swallowing, and eye movements. At the top of the brainstem is the thalamus, which relays sensory information to other parts of the brain.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
Why does the brain have pleasure centers?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Experts theorize that because human survival depends on achieving basic goals such as finding fo...
What parts of the brain are responsible for moral judgment?
Different parts of the brain react, depending on the morality of the decisions you make. In some MRI...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?