What is the function of the brainstem?

The brainstem, an extension of the spinal cord, is the oldest part of the brain in evolutionary terms. It connects the rest of the brain to the spinal cord and regulates blood pressure, breathing, chewing, swallowing, and eye movements. At the top of the brainstem is the thalamus, which relays sensory information to other parts of the brain.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

What chemicals are released in the brain in response to happiness?
Chemicals released in the brain in response to happiness include endorphins, dopamine, serotonin and...
What does the frontal cortex of my brain do?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
The frontal cortex of your brain is the highly developed area that allows for problem solving. This ...
What's the difference between controlled and automatic processing?
Though it's useful to distinguish between controlled vs. automatic processes and thinking vs. feelin...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?