What are endorphins?

Endorphins are chemicals the body naturally produces in response to stimuli like pain, stress or fear. Called neurotransmitters, these chemicals are a key part of the central nervous system, passing along signals between neurons in areas of the brain responsible for controlling emotion, releasing feelings of pleasure, and blocking pain. Depending on the situation, endorphins either can issue calm signals or ratchet up their urgency. The body produces at least 20 different endorphins, originating from areas such as the spinal cord and pituitary gland.

Endorphins are opioid molecules in the body that are similar to morphine and function to transmit signals in the brain. They are produced by areas of the brain during exercise, excitement, pain, love, and sexual activity. They resemble opiates in their abilities to reduce pain and produce a feeling of well-being.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?