How can I overcome resistance from my brain to change my behavior?

Kelly Traver

Although the brain can change, it usually won't do so without putting up a bit of a fight. That's because it is set up to resist change, especially sudden change. The brain operates under the same principle as your body: homeostasis. Just as body's physiology works to keep parameters such as calcium, blood sugar, and weight stable, so the brain works hard to continue whatever behavior has become the norm. People who are ultimately successful in initiating and maintaining major behavioral change usually do it through gradual, step-by-step changes.

Another way to help your brain accept change is to work within a structure. Your brain is very rule-based, so it generally feels more comfortable when the rules are clearly defined.

Although your brain can change, it is generally set up to resist change, especially sudden change. People who are ultimately successful in initiating and maintaining major behavioral changes usually make the changes gradually, one step at a time.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What is the neocortex?
Lynne KenneyLynne Kenney
The neocortex is located in the front of the head between your temples. It receives and stores i...
How fast do brain cells die?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Unlike other parts of the body, there is no backup system of oxygen or nutrients for the brain. Once...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?