What makes brain cells stop working?

When detectives try to solve a mystery, they look for clues and try to make sense of them.

That's the same thing the medical researchers do in the quest to solve medical mysteries.

In the case of brain cells being killed by degenerative neurological diseases, researchers have the same sense of urgency as homicide detectives. But so far, despite the clues, they have been unable to solve the mysteries involving such degenerative diseases as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's.

To understand how the brain stops working, the researchers need a better understanding of how the brain actually does work.

More needs to be understood about how the brain works so quickly, how it works in conjunction of other systems in the body and other mysteries of our brain functions that continue to baffle researchers.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
How is a woman’s brain different from a man’s?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
Men and women are equally smart, but each sex tends to use different parts of the brain to solve pro...
What is connectometrics?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A branch of study called connectometrics allows researchers to see the connections between neurons i...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?