How does the brain register pleasure?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
The brain registers all forms of pleasure in the same way, whether from a psychoactive drug (any substance that changes your mood, thinking, or behavior), a monetary reward, a sexual encounter, or a satisfying meal. In the brain, pleasure has a universal signature: the release of the neurotransmitter dopamine in a part of the brain called the nucleus accumbens. Dopamine release in this part of the brain is so consistently tied with pleasure that neuroscientists refer to the region as the pleasure center.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What is the function of the cerebral cortex?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
Each of the two hemispheres of the brain's cerebral cortex consists of four lobes. Although there is...
What part of our brain activates food cravings?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When a 2004 study asked participants to think about a favorite food, resulting functional MRI images...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?