Does my brain continue to change when I'm an adult?

Kelly Traver

The brain is incredibly adaptable and fully capable of change and, in fact, changes throughout your life. We can improve on what we are good at and eventually learn to do some of the things we thought were impossible. As we learn new material and practice new behavior, changes occur both functionally and structurally within our brains.

Additional factors also influence how the brain develops and changes. Depression and stress stimulate the production of chemicals such as cortisol that can damage and sometimes even kill neurons.

Exercise and mental stimulation, on the other hand, promote the production of chemicals such as brain-derived neurotrophic growth factor (BDNF) that encourage new growth.

Your brain is capable of substantial change. At any age, you can learn, you can grow, and you can improve your skills for living a healthier and happier life.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

What parts of the brain are responsible for moral judgment?
Different parts of the brain react, depending on the morality of the decisions you make. In some MRI...
What is connectometrics?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
A branch of study called connectometrics allows researchers to see the connections between neurons i...
What is the function of the brainstem?
Natalia S. Rost, MDNatalia S. Rost, MD
The brainstem, an extension of the spinal cord, is the oldest part of the brain in evolutionary term...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?