Does my brain continue to change when I'm an adult?

Kelly Traver

The brain is incredibly adaptable and fully capable of change and, in fact, changes throughout your life. We can improve on what we are good at and eventually learn to do some of the things we thought were impossible. As we learn new material and practice new behavior, changes occur both functionally and structurally within our brains.

Additional factors also influence how the brain develops and changes. Depression and stress stimulate the production of chemicals such as cortisol that can damage and sometimes even kill neurons.

Exercise and mental stimulation, on the other hand, promote the production of chemicals such as brain-derived neurotrophic growth factor (BDNF) that encourage new growth.

Your brain is capable of substantial change. At any age, you can learn, you can grow, and you can improve your skills for living a healthier and happier life.

Continue Learning about Functions of the Brain

The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The Mediterranean Diet and Your Brain
The word Mediterranean is Latin for “middle of the Earth.” The Ancient Romans gave the sea this name because it was the center of the earth as they kn...
What makes brain cells stop working?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When detectives try to solve a mystery, they look for clues and try to make sense of them.That's the...
How do scientists study the effects of pleasure on the brain?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Scientists have used modern brain-imaging methods to help determine exactly which areas of the b...
What Happens If I Don't Move Around During the Day?